- At Motivo Dental in West Edmonton we provide conscious sedation to our patients if required.
- Fear of dentistry is real and pretty common, it is estimated that between 6% and 14% of the population try to a
void dental treatment or even dental check- ups because of this fear; that can lead to serious dental problems as those patients only go to see the dentist when serious pain happens.
- Conscious sedation can decrease patient’s anxiety and can help people who have dentistry phobia to overcome their fears and have a good experience with their dental treatment.
- Conscious sedation is a minimally depressed level of consciousness that retains the patient’s ability to independently and continuously maintain an airway and respond appropriately to physical stimulation and verbal commands.
- At Motivo Dental in West Edmonton we achieve conscious sedation by using the laughing gas, sedation pills, or both.
- The laughing gas used at Motivo Dental is N2O, and is applied via face mask along with Oxygen. Nitrous gas is usually safe for most people, and has the advantage of being totally cleared from the body by the end of the procedure so the patient can leave the office unaccompanied.
- The oral medication used at Motivo Dental is typically Ativan. The patient should take the required pills 1 hour before the procedure, usually at the dental office. The patient cannot drive after taking that pill and should be accompanied by someone for the next 24 hours.
- In all cases, the vital signs should be monitored continuously during the procedure.
- Please call Motivo Dental in Edmonton to have a consultation with the dentist to check if sedation is good for you.